Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bray Harbour April 2006



As today is mothers day, I've spent some time thinking about my dear departed Mam. I wrote this poem about 6 weeks after my mother, Frances Kerrigan, passed away and to be honest , like the rest of my poetry, I have been reluctant to share it with the world. 
As my little tribute to her, I've decided that even though my poetry skills are not up to scratch, I'll send this one forth.

  My father had told me about the day he had taken my terminally ill mother out of hospital, St. Vincents Private Hospital, Dublin  for a little trip just for a change of scenery and to give her some fresh air. My parents were very, very close and often took trips together. This was to be their last and as I sat on the harbour wall in Bray, Co. Wicklow, I tried to picture the scene and to imagine how they were both feeling.........

Bray Harbour April 2006



Bray Harbour, April in the year of her Lord 2006
Blue skies spattered with wispy clouds
Small boat leans low in the tide
Yachts stand proud out of the water
Ropes clanking against masts in the gentle breeze
Idle chatter from two fishermen unsure if the catch will match their efforts
The chatter surely is more worthwhile
They watch uninterested as she is helped from the car
Wanting to run to the edge of the pier
Wrapped against the chill she smiles open-eyed
The swans gather around expectantly
She laughs as they give her their full attention
The odd duck mingled amongst them drawn to her
Watery eyes look out to sea, the same sea she grew up with
The memories mingled with the dreams and the wishes
Her childhood in Dun Laoghaire just north of here
Runs through her weakening mind
Seeming more real than her reality
The future for her is now no more
Clouds gather on the horizon appearing over Bray Head
Announcing a change, a turn for the worst
He takes her arm gently to return to the car
No not yet she implores turning to the swans to say farewell
Puzzling at how this can be possible
Hoping that it’s not so but resigned that it is
Slowly she turns toward him accepting that it’s time to go home
With an aching heart and a trembling hand he guides her to her seat
His spirit broken as she waves to the swans and the ducks




Alan Kerrigan
21/06/2006






2 comments: